CRCHD recently hosted its annual Professional Development Workshop & Physician Scientist Forum in Rockville, MD for NCI/CRCHD trainees from the Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) Program. This two-day workshop held on April 15-16 offered attendees an interactive forum for presenting, discussing, and networking with CRCHD investigators and program staff. A number of awards for stellar poster presentation and an outstanding mock review were two of the many conference highlights. Click here to view the agenda.
Minorities in Cancer Research (MICR), an AACR membership group more than 4,000 strong, presented a comprehensive program of events at the recent 101st AACR Annual Meeting 2010 in Washington, D.C., on April 17-21. Special programs included: MICR Networking and Resource Center, MIRCR Council Meet and Greet, and the 5th Annual AACR-MICR-Jane Cooke Wright Lectureship.
As part of NCI’s celebration of National Minority Cancer Awareness Week, Dr. Maria Canto, CRCHD Program Director, educated a Latino radio audience about the value of clinical trials participation in cancer research. Click here to hear this interview in Spanish.
NON recently held its kick-off call for Community Health Educators (CHEs) from 17 sites throughout the U.S. Nearly 25 CHEs, from CNP, PNRP, and MICCP, their program managers, and principal investigators, joined the call to hear an overview of the network and the CHEs' roles and responsibilities.
CRCHD is pleased to announce three new upcoming staff positions:
These positions will be posted for your consideration at http://usajobs.gov within the next 2-6 weeks.
- Clinical Trials Program Director - M.D./Ph.D., M.D. or Ph.D. with experience in conducting or managing clinical trials;
- Diversity Training Program Director - Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. with experience in overseeing programs involving the training of individuals from diverse/underrepresented populations; and
- National Outreach Network Program Director - Expert in applied research, especially in the areas of communication, outreach, education and behavior.
In the Field
Amelie G. Ramirez, Ph.D., head of Redes En Acción: The National Latino Cancer Research Network, receives an award from Minorities in Cancer Research (MICR) Council.
Dr. Amelie Ramirez, CNP Redes en Accion Principal Investigator, was awarded the 5th Annual Jane Cooke Wright Lecturship and provided an outstanding account of the development, implementation and assessment of their Redes en Accion partnership with MICR. Her remarks included best practice strategies for achieving balanced networks for research, training and infrastructure in disparities.
“A Tribute to Ruth L. Kirschstein, M.D.: Inspiring the Best in Others” was recently held at NIH on May 17 to commemorate her life, scientific contributions, and legacy. Dr. Kirschstein made innumerable contributions to biomedical research, beginning with her work on the polio vaccine. She blazed a trail for women in science and served in a number of key leadership roles at the NIH.
Click here for the program of events.
MI/CCP Ponce School of Medicine investigators report that vitamins and calcium supplements appear to reduce the risk of breast cancer in the long-term (see abstract), suggesting that supplements may help fight cancer.
News You Can Use
New! NCI/CRCHD Supplement Opportunities
Three new FY2010 NCI/CRCHD administrative supplement opportunities will be available soon. Please check the NIH Guide after July 6 for supplement opportunities to:
- Suppl. 1: Expand NCI-supported community outreach capacity through Community Health Educaters (CHEs) of the National Outreach Network
- Suppl. 2: Develop a CHE education/outreach plan
- Suppl. 3: Conduct community-engaged research on HIV/AIDS-related cancers.
Information about these one-year supplement opportunities will also be posted on the CRCHD website and disseminated through CRCHD program e-mails. Submission deadlines for all three opportunities will be August 6, 2010.
Research & Training Opportunities
- NCI Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program
Deadline: September 1, 2010
- Behavioral and Social Science Research on Understanding and Reducing Health Disparities (R01)
Application Deadlines: September 14, 2010, January 11, May 11, 2011
Letter of Intent Receipt Dates: August 14, 2010, December 11, 2010, April 11, 2011
- Quick-Trials for Imaging and Image-Guided Interventions: Exploratory Grants (R21)
Deadlines: August 5, December 5, 2010
- National Cancer Institute (NCI) Cancer Education and Career Development Program (R25)
Deadline: Standard dates apply, please see here
- Application and Early Stage Development of Emerging Technologies in Cancer Research (R21)
Application Deadline: September 30, 2010
Letter of Intent Receipt Dates: August 30, 2010
Find upcoming meetings on our Meetings and Events page on our website. These include:
NCI/NIH Science in the News