CRCHD Spotlight: 2010 GMaP Summit Highlights
|Geographical Management Program (GMaP)
2010 GMaP Summit
September 29, 2010
Loews Miami Beach Hotel
More than 100 researchers from 67 Institutions across the country met in Miami, Florida on September 27th for the first Geographical Management of Cancer Health Disparities (GMaP) Summit. The goal of the summit was to explore and generate ideas, concepts, and approaches that can best develop a team science, trans-disciplinary, network based approach to cancer health disparities research and training.
This year's GMap Summit was held at Lowes Miami Beach Hotel in Miami. Topics included: emerging technologies, clinical trials, bioinformatics, biospecimens, communication and dissemination, and training.
Some of the sessions of this one-day conference included:
- Dr. Sanya Springfield, Director of NCI's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities and Dr. Peter Shields of Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center welcomed attendees and gave the opening remarks.
- Dr. Mary Ann Van Duyn of NCI's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities provided an overview of the GMaP concept, highlighting GMaP's accomplishments, and outlines the charge for the day.
- The Keynote Speaker Dr. John Carpten of the Translational Genomics Research Institute in Phoenix, Arizona, detailed a vision for "Creating Comprehensive Networks in Cancer Health Disparities."
- Dr. William Grizzle, of the University of Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama; Dr. Lisa Newman of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan ; and Dr. Cheryl Williams of the University of New Mexico Cancer Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico provided stellar examples of the "State of Network ScienceóBest Practices, Lessons Learned and Future Needs."
- Dr. Carmen Moten of NCI's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities; Dr. Ted Trimble of NCI's Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis; Mr. Benjamin Fombonne of NCI's Center for Strategic Scientific Initiatives; and Dr. Ian Fore of NCI's Center for Bioinformatics outlined NCI's resources for "Building Bridges from NCI/NIH to Collaborative Regional Networks."
GMaP is a national program employing regional strategies to support and coordinate cancer health disparities research, training, and infrastructure. Through the creation of six regional disparities focused networks, GMaP links CRCHD's flagship programs - the Comprehensive Partnership to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities (formerly MI/CCP), the Community Networks Program, the Patient Navigation Research Program, and the Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences - to advance the science of cancer health disparities and contribute to the training of the next generation of cancer health disparity researchers from diverse backgrounds.
Using ARRA administrative supplements, regional GMaP networks provide the infrastructure and technical expertise to foster state-of the science cancer research and training for diverse scientists. GMaP currently has more than 67 partnering institutions from some of the leading cancer research centers in the country, including 13 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers are involved.
The GMaP Principal Investigators by region follow below:
- Region 1 (District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia)
Steven Patierno, Ph.D. - George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Peter Shields, M.D. - Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Region 2 (Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina)
Samuel E. Adunyah, Ph.D. - Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Steven Akman, M.D. - Wake Forest University Health Services, Wake Forest, NC
- Region 3 (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Puerto Rico)
Edward Partridge, M.D. - University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
W. Jack Pledger, Ph.D. - H. Lee Moffit Cancer Center, Tampa, FL
- Region 4 (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas)
Amelie Ramirez, Dr. P.H., M.P.H. - The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
Mary O'Connel, Ph.D. - New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- Region 5 (Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois)
Delroy Louden, Ph.D. - Lincoln University, Lincoln, PA
Robert Beck, M.D. - Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
Steven Rosen, M.D. and Julian Schrink, M.D. - Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Region 6 (California, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington)
Beti Thompson, Ph.D. - Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA
Liz Klonoff, Ph.D. - San Diego State University-University of California Comprehensive Partnership, San Diego, CA