Grantee Spotlight: AACR Grantee Presentations
100th Annual Meeting 2009
April 18-22, 2009
Colorado Convention Center
CRCHD is pleased to recognize a number of our trainees. These NCI/CRCHD funded trainees received either the AACR Minority Scholar Awards or Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research at the recent AACR 100th Annual Meeting 2009.
2009 AACR Minority Scholars in Cancer Research Awards
View a searchable database for information regarding their presentation/poster.
You can also view a full list of winners.
|Photo courtesy © AACR/Todd Buchanan 2009|
- José R. Gomez-Garcia, B.S., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
Ras-induced autophagic self-destruction of immortalized human cells: The second innate defense line against cancer
- Deacqunita L. Harris, B.S., Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Abstract #2026. Potentiating effect of dietary fat on benzo(a)pyrene (BaP)-DNA adduct concentrations and colon adenomas in ApcMin mice
- Marco A. Alcala, Jr., M.D. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Abstract #5027 Near infrared imaging of liver tumors targeted by lanthanide-containing PAMAM dendrimers in a rat model of colorectal metastasis.
- Charvann K. Bailey, B.A. Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Abstract #1495 The mechanism of SLUG-CtBP1 interactions on the E2-box of DNA in vivo.
- Nora M. Barboza, Ph.D. UMDNJ Cancer Institute of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ
Abstract #5469 Combination of plitidepsin and rituximab is effective for treatment of rituximab resistant Non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma.
- Marcus H. Bell, B.S. UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Abstract #5601Defining tumor mRNA expression signatures predicting response of lung cancers to radiation therapy.
- Melanie C. Bocanegra, B.S. Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Abstract #200Prognostic signature of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer highlights role of LYN in invasion and likely target of dasatinib.
- Burthia E. Booker, B.S. Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Abstract #1517Mutational characterization of the C-terminal zinc finger of human SNAIL protein.
- Liselle C. Bovell, B.S. University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
Abstract #549 MicroRNA profiles of colorectal adenocarcinomas - racial disparity.
- Paul M. Campbell, Ph.D. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL
Abstract #1089Activated K-Ras expression in human pancreatic epithelial cells promotes chemokine secretion and angiogenesis through MAP kinase signaling.
- Candace E. Carroll, B.S. University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Abstract # 4069HIF-1a is required for both progestin-induced VEGF secretion by breast cancer cells and in vivo progression of progestin-dependent mammary tumors.
- Mohammad Daremipouran, M.S. Howard University Cancer Center, Washington, DC
Abstract #4856 Vitamin D and prostate cancer in African-Americans.
- Ahmara V. Gibbons, B.S. Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Abstract #3523The intestinal tumor susceptibility gene product GUCY2C coordinates epithelial-mesenchymal interactions opposing the tumorigenic stromal niche through TGF-ß1.
- EfeW. Iyamu, M.D., Ph.D., Children’s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO
Abstract #3529 Oxidant-mediated thiol modification of arginase 1 in erythroleukemic cells is sufficient for its intracellular activation.
- Troy A. McEachron, B.S., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
Abstract #2518 The role of tissue factor-factor VIIa-protease activated receptor 2 signaling in breast tumor progression.
- Paula L. Miliani de Marval, Ph.D., Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC.
Abstract #308 Epidermal-specific expression of a CYLD mutant leads to increased sensitivity to skin carcinogenesis and metastasis.
- LaSharon Denise Mosley, M.S., University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
Abstract #1252CXCL11 and CXCL12 modulates matrix metalloproteinase expression by breast cancer cells predominately through CXCR7 interactions.
- Leticia M. Nogueira, B.S., University of Texas, Austin, TX
Abstract #4820 Differential expression of tumor-related genes in the most recommended obesity reversal strategies (calorie restriction and exercise).
- Nilsa Rivera-Del Valle, M.S., UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
Abstract #4548 PCI-24781, a novel hydroxamic acid HDAC inhibitor, induces apoptosis and histone acetylation in a caspase-8 dependent manner in leukemia cells.
- Mariangellys Rodriguez, B.S., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
Abstract #4404 Possible role of insulin-like growth factor I in breast cancer proliferation via the CYP1A1 epoxygenase pathway.
- Gabriel J. Villares, B.S., UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
Abstract #1187 PAR-1 negatively regulates the tumor suppressor Maspin in human melanoma.
- Pablo E. Vivas-Mejía, Ph.D., UT M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
Abstract #2785 Targeting survivin in taxane-resistant ovarian cancer using liposomal siRNA
- Carmen N.West-Wright,M.S., USC/Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, CA.
Abstract #85 Long-term physical activity and survival after breast cancer: The California Teacher's Study.
- Shanté P.Williams, B.S., Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
Abstract #2235 Indirubins potently block glioma cell migration through inhibition of GSK-3.
2009 AACR Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholars in Cancer Research
You can view a searchable database for information regarding their poster.
You can also view a full list of winners.
|Photo courtesy © AACR/Todd Buchanan 2009|
- Wellington K. Ayensu, M.D., Jackson State University, Jackson, MS
Abstract #3026 Altered GABAA receptors levels as biomarkers and predictors of developmental toxic responses to exposures to low levels of mercury in embryoneurogenesis.
- Antonio T. Baines, Ph.D., North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC
Abstract #4347 Pim kinases are potential molecular targets in K-Ras mediated transformation of pancreatic cancer.
- Hirendra Nath Banerjee, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, NC
Abstract #1141 The role of CED 6 gene in glioblastoma mutiforme cell phagocytosis.
- Hareesh Babu Bhaskaran Nair, Ph.D., UT Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
Abstract #2379 Hyaluronic acid_coated letrozole nanoparticles in targeting breast cancer enhances in vivo therapeutic activity and delay resistance.
- Hassan Brim, Ph.D., Howard University,Washington, DC.
Abstract #5161 Frequent SLC5A8 promoter methylation in colorectal adenoma patients.
- Marcia R. Cruz-Correa, M.D., Ph.D., University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
Abtract #4877 Familial clustering of cancer among Hispanics with colorectal cancer.
- Ruben R. Gonzalez-Perez, Ph.D., Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA.
Abstract #4704Differential effects of leptin-peptide receptor antagonist (LPrA) on breast cancer estrogen receptor positive and negative.
- Karen M. Hill-Williams, Ph.D., Howard University College of Medicine, Washington, DC
Abstract #3390 PI 3-kinase p110ß is linked to AKT activation and anti-apoptosis in LNCap, DU145, and PC3 human prostate cancer cell lines.
- Cimona V. Hinton, Ph.D., Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, GA
Abstract #4280 CXCR4-chemokine receptor and Cannabinoid Receptor 2 (CB2) heterodimerization suggests a mechanism for breast metastasis regulation.
- Ali B. Ishaque, Ph.D., University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD
Abstract #4117 Genotoxic effect of individual and mixture of atrazine, arsenic, cadmium and nitrate, at maximum contaminant level on breast cell lines.
- Stan Ivey, Ph.D., Delaware State University, Dover, DE
Abstract #903 Glycopeptide antibodies used to characterize human P-glycoprotein differential glycosylation in mulitdrug resistant uterine sarcoma cells, MES-SA/Dx5.
- Yasmine M. Kanaan, Ph.D., Howard University,Washington, DC
Abstract #675Cytotoxic effects of a novel dicloronaphthoquinone analogue on human breast cancer cell lines.
- Ward G. Kirlin, Ph.D., Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
Abstract#2965Potential chemoprevention by Withania somnifera extracts through altered expression of carcinogen metabolizing enzymes.
- Nameer B. Kirma, Ph.D., UT Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
Abstract # 4300 The transforming growth factor beta and macrophage colony-stimulating factor pathways intersect in endometrial cancer.
- Dana R. Marshall, Ph.D., Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Abstract #986 Analysis of preliminary questionnaire from the Breast Cancer in African Women Study.
- Michelle M. Martínez-Montemayor, Ph.D., Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine, Bayamón, PR
Abstract #2878 Whole mushroom Reishi extract reduces inflammatory breast cancer progression via E-cadherin inhibition
- Valerie Odero-Marah, Ph.D., Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, GA
Abstract #4124 Dual role of Snail transcription factor in epithelial-mesenchymal transition and neuroendocrine differentiation in prostate cancer cells
- Anita K. Patlolla, Ph.D., Jackson State University, Jackson, MS
Abstract #787 Multiwalled carbon nanotube-induced cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and apoptosis in normal human dermal fibroblast cells
- Marianela Pérez-Torres, Ph.D., University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR.
Abstract #4207 Neuregulin-1ßa regulates the expression of the epidermal growth factor receptor in breast adenocarcinoma cell lines.
- Kinfe K. Redda, Ph.D., Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL
Abstract #657 Synthesis of anti-cancer agents.
- Maureen Sanderson, M.P.H., Ph.D., Meharry Medical College, Nashville, TN
Abstract #70 Urinary isoflavone concentrations and breast cancer among Mexican-American women.
- Carlos A. Torres-Ramos, Ph.D., University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
Abstract #4114 Genetic interaction between the Saccharomyces cerevisiae OGG1 and APN1 genes for the repair of H2O2-induced mitochondrial DNA damage.
- Kassim Traore, Ph.D., Elizabeth City State University, Elizabeth City, NC
Abstract #1203 Up-regulation of TLR1, TLR2 and TLR4 expression in innate immune cells induced by TPA: Role in the potentiation of inflammatory and oxidative stress responses to LPS and LTA.
- Ratna K. Vadlamudi, Ph.D., UT Health Sciences Center, San Antonio, TX
Abstract #2387 Therapeutic potential of blocking ER non-genomic actions on ER-positive metastasis.
- Kevin P.Williams, Ph.D., North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC
Abstract #2833 Dysregulation of the hedgehog pathway in inflammatory breast carcinoma.